Thursday, August 26, 2010

Base 2 Used Game Show: Episode 2

Sam's Collection
Introductory Episode (2 of 5)
Sony Playstation 2

In 2001 the Playstation 2 was all the rage. For the low low price of more than I could fathom, I could get a video game console that also acted as a DVD player. This sounded awesome, but I decided to see what Nintendo did and then this mysterious entry of the Xbox. Time passed and my contentment with my PC as a gaming platform led to me skipping an entire console generation. In about 2006 I realized the sheer genius of the system and it's wacky amazing games. When the choice came down to getting a couple of Xbox 360 games or the now $129 PS2 slim, I went for the 360. Now recently I decided that I really really wanted a PS2, and as luck would have it, John (Griffolian) and I found a yard sale that was selling a few for five bucks. I ended up buying three with no guarantee that they would work. I got a 39001 50001 and a 79001. I'll tell you about the status of each console below.

I started buying games for the system a few months earlier knowing I would get one eventually. but I didn't even guess how lucky I would be on the cost. Without further ado, I present the list.

I'll start the list.

Console 39001 - $5
                Well, this one didn't read discs at all, blue, black, or silver.  We used it to make an Emotion Engine necklace.


Console 50001 - $5
                It works but won't read most blue discs.

Console 79001 - $5
                Works great except one of the magic gate slots is missing the dust door. I keep a card in at all times though so it doesn't bother me too bad.

2 Dualshock 2's - free with consoles

1 Dualshock - free with console

s-video cables for PS2

Power cables for all


Now for the Games.
In alphabetical order. Full case and book unless specified.

Clock Tower 3 - $3

Final Fantasy XII - $8

Half-Life - $8

Ico - $15
                This is more than I'd normally pay for a used game but normally this game goes for around $30 used so I got it.

RAD (Robot Alchemic Drive) - $7
                This game isn't in the original case and doesn't come with the book but I could not find it anywhere else complete. This will have to do for now until I can find it again.


For a total of $56, not too shabby. I have a long way to go but I'm pretty happy with my little collection. I've only had my PS2 for around two or three weeks so. Watch new episodes to see  new games I get in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment